Sunday, July 10, 2011

Arrival Day: Athens, Greece

Athens Day one was rather a blur. I arrived at the airport in Athens two hours later than planned. I had taken two Advil pm and a NyQuil and had fallen dead asleep on the plane. I was awakened by someone who wanted to know if I wanted some coffee. It was 235am our time. I got off the plane, happily went through immigration, found my bag that, thankfully, the airport did not loose, and then went through customs without so much as a “got anything to declare?” Apparently coming back through the US is going to be more difficult. When the doors opened to exit, there were about 100 people lining the area looking for arrived passengers. I saw no one I knew. It was a bit intimidating. Then I heard Louis shout “Shelley!” and was relieved to find that I had, in fact, landed in the right country.

The ride through town to the Hotel was an adventure. There are apparently not many traffic rules in Athens. Apparently, there is no speed limit, passing is done at your own risk, and motorcycles and scooters weave in and out of cars. There are no helmet laws. As a matter of fact, the only ones I saw wearing helmets were the police. I tried not to pay too much attention to the traffic. I was a little frightened. But OMG this place is so amazing. The water is green, the food is amazing and the people are very nice and helpful. I thought with the excitement of the morning that I could handle the days activities whatever they were and then make it through the night. However, after some lunch, I was ready for a nap. Actually, I think I was already comatose at the table. Luckily, everyone else wanted to sleep too. I hit the bed and slept for a solid two hours. When we got up, we dressed for the beach and went for a swim. The water is a bit more chilly than it is back home. I was feeling more like a human. We came back to the hotel, showered and walked about 3 blocks up the road to Georgia and Marco's small apartment for dinner. These are the two that are getting married on Tinos in a week. They were so gracious. We had souvlaki and ouzo and the best milk pie in Athens. We did not leave their house until 1:00 in the morning—6pm est. I went to sleep at 2am. I was exhausted.


Other notes of interest: the weather is much the same as it is n NC right now—HOT. The measure in Celsius so that has been fun math. Everyone I have encountered speaks English too. The public beaches are crowded and a bit dirty...as in they don't clean up after themselves very well. Wear sunscreen. Off the balcony of the hotel, I can look left and see mountains. I can Look right and see the Sarconic Gulf. I am in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment