Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day One: Let's go to Beijing!



First day is a travel day. There are 18 of us in our NC group flying out of Charlotte to Newark and then Newark to Beijing. When I flew to Hawaii, I did it in 3 legs--18 ours of flying. But this was broken into only two--which meant a 15 hour flight. I thought the 10 hour to Greece was rough. Geeze.
We left at 9:30am on Tuesday and arrived in Beijing at 1:30 pm on Wednesday. Needless to say we were all wiped out. We met our tour guide, Daniel, after we collected our luggage and made it though immigration and customs. For the record, as long as  you have your visa already approved, getting into the country is easy.
Daniel, our guide for the next 7 days
Daniel informed us of our plans to check in to the hotel and have dinner around 6. Our group was to merge with 3 other groups from Texas, Connecticut, and Ohio, but they weren't due until much later that night. 
Our hotel in Beijing was the Dongfang Hotel and it was situated right in the middle of this wonderful little community. Daniel informed us that if we were interested, we could get an hour reflexology massage for about $150 yuan, which converts to roughly $23 American dollars. SOLD!!!
view out of my hotel window
Before dinner, 7 of us walked 2 blocks down to the massage parlor. Now, I had read that you should be aware that some massage parlors offered you more than massage.....if you know what I mean. This place was clean, friendly, and I received my rub down while fully clothed. But the work on my feet was amazing!
Now that I was relaxed, and dinner was served, I would sleep very well tonight. It's a good thing because the next day was to be the roughest walking day of the whole trip....

No comments:

Post a Comment