Sunday, August 3, 2014

A New Journey

I was looking back at this travel blog and realized that it’s been over a year since I posted and I wonder what happened. I didn’t even document my trip to Honduras. But I think I realize what happened. I got stuck. I got stuck in a place I did not belong and truth be told, I was somewhat miserable there. I just didn’t know it.

I had these grand dreams of settling down and starting a family. But the Universe has other plans for me. She has a harsh way of showing me reality, but truthfully I would have never left if she didn’t. 

Recently I picked up a copy of Tales of a Female Nomad by Rita Goldman Gelman and became enthralled. Here is a woman who at 47 years old sells all of her possessions and begins a life of travel. She has no real home and enjoys only staying in places for no more than 6 months at at time. I realized that I miss traveling. I miss the adventure of meeting new people, and trying new food, and new adventures. Perhaps I have become too accustomed to warm showers and soft beds. Perhaps I am antsy and unhappy because I am in one place for too long or holding on to too much.

This year I have had to let go of my home, a relationship, a family, some possessions, and recently, my long time companion puppy of 14 years. See, in my life I have always had plan B if things didn’t work out. This time, I don’t have plan B. As a matter of fact, I have no plan at all. It’s the first time in my life that I don’t have a plan. And I am unnerved by it. 

But this week, I had to do one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life. I had to release my Emma Girl, my first real pet and and greatest companion. But in doing this act of compassion, she gave me a gift as well.  She helped me see that letting go of everything else was going to be easy. All I had to do was trust in myself and the Universe. 


So now, I am ready to hit the road again. But instead of doing something across an ocean, I’m going to get in my car. The general plan is to head north. I have always wanted to visit New England and it being August and I have this issue with really cold weather, I think this is the perfect time to go. Marley, my other faithful four-legged companion is going to accompany me on the trip. I have tentative plans of stopping and visiting a few friends in Delaware and Pennsylvania, but other than that there is no plan. There are no reservations, there are no planned routes. There is just me, my dog, and the Goddess guiding me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment