Monday, August 18, 2014

The First State is Literally the First State.

I often dream about water. And most of the time, the dreams are very much the same. I am driving in my car, and I drive out onto a bridge. That part is fine. But somewhere along the way, the bridge starts to change. Sometimes it becomes a large roller coaster. Sometimes it goes straight down into the water and I drive my car into the deep wonderinging if I can ever find my way back out again. It is petrifying. 

So you can imagine what it was like for me to cross the Chesapeake Bay at the bridge/tunnel combination in Virginia Beach. I actually paid fifteen dollars in tolls to ride across that thing….and into two tunnels. To me, there isn’t much that is more daunting than to turn a corner and see your bridge end in the middle of the water. 

But much unlike my dreams, I actually came out of the water into a beautiful sunset on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay and it made the drive up the peninsula to Lewes, Delaware so much more enjoyable. I’ve never actually explored Delaware and luckily my buddy from way back lives there. His name is Keith and he turns out to be an excellent tour guide.

Monday morning as I tried to get my wits about me, Keith suggested we take a walk out on the beach. So, we jumped in his truck and headed to Henlopen State Park. This park is beautiful. It was once a "fort" during World War II and there are still turrets on the beach.  I am sure that it gets crowded during the summer. There are several places you can take the dog out for a stroll as long as he stays on the leash, as well as camping and hiking. Despite the leash law, Marley enjoyed himself in the sand. 

















We then headed into downtown Lewes (for those of you like me who didn’t know, it’s pronounced like Louis or Lewis). We ate breakfast at a lovely little place called the Nectar Cafe and Juice Bar. We didn’t have juice. I had the largest portion of blueberry pancakes I have ever seen and Keith had the bourbon and cream french toast. I could only eat one of the pancakes, but Keith was quite successful with his. We were then ready for our biggest adventure of the day: Pirates on the High Seas!!

Ok, so the high seas turn out to be Delaware Bay on a replica of the Kalmar Nyckel, the first ship from Sweden coming to the new world and bringing with it a load of colonists who founded New Sweden in what is now Wilmington, Delaware. The replica makes two trips a day out on to the Bay and one of them is a pirate voyage. The crew dresses as pirates and leads the passengers in sea shanties and stories of piracy. Granted, it’s geared more toward children, but Keith made it ours when he pulled out two beers. Turns out, you can bring your own grog!!

The cruise is about two hours long and that day there was very little wind. But we did get dolphins in our wake and on the side of the boat. Captain Lauren is very knowledgable and personable and it was even fascinating to watch her train her crew. 

We ended our fantastic day at a waterfront pub called Irish Eyes. It was perfect because it was outside, allowed dogs on the porch, and had a good selection of beer. We spent the evening with Keith’s friend Sig (I’ve probably taken liberties with the spelling) talking, eating and watching the sun set over the canal. It was the perfect ending to a perfect day.




Some Pics courtesy of Keith Jones at KeithJoneswoodworking.https://www.facebook.com/KeithJonesWoodworking

No comments:

Post a Comment