Friday, April 20, 2012

Aloha: be love (Learning the spirit of the island)



Another beautiful day in Kauai! I must be in paradise!

I have learned so much on this trip so far. As you have probably read, this is not your average trip to Hawaii. I would bet that most tourists here come for the beaches. I have not spent very much time on the beaches at all. I would love some salt water time, but there is so much more to learn!

This morning we got a treat from Uncle Nelson! He brought his "toys" to share with us all that he knows of Hawaii. He played drums and flutes, shucked 2 coconuts for us so that we could drink the water and milk and eat the meat. It was amazing!!!
Shucking the coconut
milking

He also performed the hula for us and taught us a dance too. From what I understand, he performs at the marriott in Kapa'a so if you are ever in Kauai, please go see him! Click here to see his performance for us!

Making a bowl
coconut bra!


After the talk, we decided we needed some town time--lunch, shopping and maybe the beach. We headed into Kapa'a and had lunch at Mermaids, a wonderful little shack that served healthy food. We sat out and watched the people go by. We then visited a gem shop that had a great deal to choose from. I wasn't feeling the vibe of the shopping so I headed down to the beach on my own to catch some afternoon rays and possibly go for a swim. I only had an hour before the van headed back to the B&B so I just found a place to lay down and enjoy the beach.

Tonight, I attended my first real Luau ever at Smith's Family Luau. We watched performances of the hula,  ate great food, and watched a performance celebrating the heritage of the Hawaiian Islands.
dinner entertainment


removing the pig
After the luau, we went back down to Lydgate beach for a night meditation. Tonight we visited Sirius and heard a different rendition of the story of Hawaii.










Hawaiians originally came from the stars in celestial canoes made of light Kanaloa and his wife were the first to arrive and then sent canoes back to get the rest of his people. "It is told that the souls migrated from the cosmos and took up residence in primitive beigns that were on Eart at the time and had a soul agreementn to allow us to embody them. The guardians tht lead us here have stayed. These are the cetaceans....the dolphins and the whales." So tonight, under the starlit sky, we communed with the dolphins and whales from Sirius.



Tahitian Dancers


No comments:

Post a Comment