Saturday, April 28, 2012

Kona Day 2: Surf, tattoo, drink---in that order


You would think that being in “paradise” we would wake to the lovely sounds of a soft ocean, or birds in a rain forest, or the sweet sound of coffee brewing in the kitchen...
But that was not the case. Apparently the condo we were staying at was under renovation so we heard the boss yelling at some poor worker about a drill. So much for sleeping in today.
So we started our day at a local diner called Chubby's with eggs and the best diner coffee I have ever had in my life! Kona coffee!! We then decided that we would check out the local beaches and see what kind of relaxing day we could have.
We ended up at Kahalu’u Park beach. It was a small area but not much swimming was going on--but there was A LOT of surfing going on. The weather was over cast and a little cool so we plopped down on the sand and watched the guys and girls brave the break. 
It was a good time for contemplation. And what was I contemplating? A tattoo!
Laura gave me some good advise. “You should get it because you’ll get home and then regret it.” So off to the tattoo parlor we went.
After 2 hours later (time to draw it, time to get it on there) I was sick and light-headed, but I had a tattoo! The middle is the galactic sign for the universe (8 infinities and the flower of life) and the words around the edge are “Ike, kala, makia, manawa, aloha, mana, pono” which are the 7 principles of huna (be aware, be free, be focused, be here, be love, be strong, be affective.)
Now I needed FOOD! My sugar was so low I thought I was going to pass out on the street---and for the record--that tattoo HURT!
So we headed up the street to Fish Hopper. My friends Dale and Jeanne recommended we eat there, so why not. The food was good but a bit pricey. The view was nice and the  drinks were really good! I had mine in a pineapple.
Laura loved the tattoo on me so much she wanted the same one herself, so after dinner we strolled back up the the shop to see if it was open. No luck--try again tomorrow. So maybe it’s time for a little shopping and then some rest. Tomorrow we have to go back over to Hilo to catch a plane home. Time here has been way too short. 

No comments:

Post a Comment